HOW CAN I RELIEVE PAIN FROM ARTHRITIS OF MY THUMB?
Arthritis in the thumb becomes more common with ageing. It occurs due to the wearing and tearing of the cartilage that sits at the base of your thumb joint. Common symptoms include pain, swelling, stiffness, reduced strength and range of movement. Individuals who are affected may experience difficulties with gripping objects or turning the lid of a jar.
Bauerfeind’s high-quality supports or braces with medical-grade compression target the symptoms of thumb arthritis to provide pain relief and protection. With Velcro fastenings, the brace can be conveniently taken on and off at any time. Our thumb supports also helps you to continue with everyday activities such as gripping or picking up objects without experiencing major strains or limitations.
HOW TO TREAT PAIN CAUSED BY ARTHRITIS OF THE THUMB
- Rest and brace supports. In the early phases of rehab, it is beneficial for the thumb to be placed in a lightweight brace to facilitate healing
- Physical therapy. Once it is cleared by a doctor or physiotherapist, exercises may be prescribed to assist with the strengthening of the internal structures
- Anti-inflammatory medicines. Medications may be prescribed by your doctor to ease pain and inflammation
- Education. Skiers should be taught how to properly discard ski poles during a fall to prevent future thumb injuries
- Severe or persistent pain should be investigated by your doctor or physiotherapist.
Best Bauerfeind Brace for Arthritis of the Thumb
RhizoLoc Thumb Stabiliser
A thumb splint for stabilisation of the thumb saddle.
If you’re suffering from Skier’s Thumb, trigger thumb or arthritis the RhizoLoc thumb splint will offer effective stabilisation and relief.
The orthosis boasts an individually adaptable aluminum stay which stabilises the thumb saddle. This allows for optimal healing of the affected ligaments.
The RhizoLoc sits securely in an anatomically correct and comfortable position on the hand for effective therapy.
ManuLoc Rhizo Brace
Provides protection and extra support to injured, arthritic, weak or post-cast wrists and thumbs that require rigid stabilisation.
In the case of irritation and combination injuries that affect the wrist as well as the thumb carpometacarpal joint and thumb basal joint, the ManuLoc Rhizo wrist thumb immobiliser and holds the thumb securely in a relaxed position with a support.
Ideal for the treatment of arthritis, carpal tunnel, post cast, sprains and tendonitis.
WHAT CAN I DO TO RELIEVE PAIN FROM THUMB ARTHRITIS?
Following instruction from a therapist, splints, heat and cold, gentle massaging motions and mild exercise can all be used to relieve pain. Splints are useful to provide support for the joint and decrease inflammation.