HOW AM I ABLE TO PREVENT OR AVOID AN ANKLE INJURY WHEN I AM SKIING?
Ankle injuries account for a tenth of all skiing related injuries with most of these related to fractures, ligament sprains, tears and ruptures. A diagnosis should be made with the help of a trained physiotherapist. Many physiotherapists will recommend wearing an ankle brace, such as a Bauerfeind MalleoTrain S ankle support to minimise your chances of a skiing injury by enhancing stability, proprioception and by using medical-grade compression around the joint. Bauerfeind ankle braces help to promote blood flow with the use of our 3D weave medical grade compression, something not found when using simple neoprene sleeves or cheaper braces. This added support will help stabilise your joint without limiting your ability to enjoy your next black run or slalom ski race.
HOW TO TREAT A SKIING INJURY
- Strains or Sprains. Many sprains and strains can be treated with the RICE method: Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. A good physiotherapist can assist with the recovery however prevention is always better than cure.
- Fractures. With ankle fractures it is recommended that you first consult your doctor or a hospital emergency department. Apply a cold pack to the swollen area and have your leg elevated.
- Ligament Tearing. Ligament tears will generally always require surgery. A torn ligament rebuild uses a tissue graft, as the ligament will not generally heal properly otherwise. Surgery can be minimally invasive however these injuries may take considerable time to heal.
View this post on Instagram
Heading to the snow these holidays? The GenuTrain S knee brace will help prevent injury and stabilise your knee - ideal for skiing and snowboarding ❄️⛄️ We are open today (Saturday 22 Dec) so come get your knees sorted for your trip! 🏂⛷ . . . #snowboarding #skiing #christmasholidays #snow #snowing #christmas #bauerfeind #bauerfeindaustralia #motionislife #winter #ski #travel #photography #snowboarding #nature #powder #mountains #summerholidays #escapetheheat
The Best Ankle Braces for Skiing
Unparalleled comfort, breathability and durability. Protect your ankle from sprains and twists while skiing.
Improve your endurance and reduce the risk of sprains while running up and down the court with the stabilising Sports Ankle Support.
The extremely lightweight and hard-wearing Sports Ankle Support features an innovative taping strap, which supports the ligaments and protects your ankle against sprains, hyper-extension, and twisting.
An ankle brace for treatment of a sore ankle following injury, surgery or due to arthritis.
The MalleoTrain ankle brace employs scientifically targeted support to reinforce the stability and strength of your ankle joint. It delivers medical grade compression to improve your circulation which fastens the healing process. Two soft pads are integrated on each side which become active as you move by massaging the ankle joint to reduce swelling.
- 3D Airknit technology provides moisture-wicking, breathable comfort
- Compression reduced edges divert pressure at ends
- Anatomically shaped for a secure fit and freedom of movement
An active ankle support for greater stability and security during physical activity.
Thanks to its individually adjustable strap system, the MalleoTrain S acts like a functional tape bandage. The strap is fastened around the foot in a figure-of-eight pattern, connecting the mid and hind foot with the lower leg to support your ankle in all directions.
- 3D Airknit design for moisture-wicking, breathable comfort
- Ideal to wear during sports
- Gradient compression engineering for a faster healing process
Active achilles ankle support with an integrated heel cushion to brace and provide pain relief of the Achilles tendon.
The ankle brace provides a threefold therapeutic effect: it relieves Achilles tendon pain, distributes pressure evenly to reduce impact, and produces a soothing massage effect that helps prevent fluid build-up.
- Pressure-reduced edges – Ensures a comfortable fit without constricting movement, bunching or slipping. Improves circulation.
- Three-dimensional Train active knit – For a perfect fit.
- Contoured insert – Running along the Achilles tendon, the pad distributes the pressure uniformly.
- High elasticity – Makes the support easy to put on and take off.
- Heel wedge cushion - Sits under the heel for added pain relief.
- Universal - Same version can be used for both the right and left foot.
A premium brace that provides a supportive massaging effect to soothe chronic pain, irritation and inflammation of the achilles tendon.
The AchilloTrain Pro Achilles support combines the best in German medical engineering and medical-grade compression to provide you with added stability and pain relief of the Achilles tendon.
This ankle support features a unique wing shaped pad which massages your muscles and tendon every time you move, helping to reduce inflammation and pain.
WHY IS MY ANKLE SORE AFTER SKIING?
Skiing has one of the highest rates of ankle injuries, so it is beneficial to invest in a high quality ankle brace. Research found that when players wore a stabilising ankle brace, they were 68% less likely to become injured than those who did not.